Apple’s Macbook Pro with a retina screen is a powerful and sleek laptop that is perfect for business or personal use. The retina screen is incredibly sharp and clear, making it easy to work on or view pictures and videos. However, the screen can get dirty over time and require cleaning.
A dirty screen can cause eye strain and make it difficult to see what you’re working on. It can also attract dust and fingerprints, which can be frustrating. Luckily, there are a few simple steps you can take to clean your Macbook Pro’s retina screen and keep it looking sharp.
To clean stubborn smudges or fingerprints, you can use a microfiber cloth dampened with a 70-percent isopropyl alcohol to clean the screen. This is a safe and effective way to remove smudges without damaging the screen.
What To Use To Clean Your Macbook Pro’s Retina Screen
Cleaning your MacBook Pro’s retina screen is important for keeping it looking sharp and preventing eye strain. However, you need to use a specific and safe product to avoid damaging the screen.
There are a few things you should use to clean your MacBook Pro’s retina screen:
1. Screen spray: Use a screen spray designed for cleansing delicate screens, such as the LCDs on your MacBook Pro, cameras, and TVs. You can find screen spray at most electronics stores.
Last update on 2023-08-24 | Details
2. Microfiber cloth: Use a clean, soft microfiber cloth to avoid scratching the retina display as you clean it. If you don’t have a microfiber cloth, you can use a clean, soft cotton cloth instead. Apple also sells its own polishing cloth specifically designed to clean the screens of MacBooks and other Apple devices.
Last update on 2023-08-24 | Details
3. Watter or 70-percent isopropyl alcohol: Use water or 70-percent isopropyl alcohol to dampen your microfiber cloth if you need to remove stubborn smudges or fingerprints. Do not use any other cleaning solutions, such as windex, as they can damage the retina display.
Last update on 2023-08-24 | Details
4. Screen wipes: You can also use screen wipes that are safe for use on delicate screens. These wipes are usually soaked in a cleansing solution that is safe for use on your MacBook Pro’s retina screen.
2. Gently wipe the screen with a microfiber cloth to remove any dust or dirt. If you need to, you can use a screen spray designed for delicate screens.
3. For stubborn smudges or fingerprints, dampen a microfiber cloth with water or 70-percent isopropyl alcohol. Gently wipe the screen until the smudge is removed.
4. Once you’ve finished cleaning the screen, be sure to dry it off with a clean microfiber cloth.
5. Plug your MacBook Pro back in and turn it on.
Cleaning Stains From A Macbook Screen
MacBook screens can get stained for a variety of reasons. It could be from something you spilled on the screen, or it could be from the oils on your skin. No matter what the cause, it’s important to clean the stains off as soon as possible to prevent them from becoming permanent.
The best way to clean a MacBook screen is with a microfiber cloth and some water.
Simply wet the cloth and wipe the screen gently until the stains are gone. If the stains are particularly stubborn, you can use 70-percent isopropyl alcohol instead of water.
Clean Fingerprints Off A Macbook Screen
Fingerprints can be difficult to avoid, especially if you use your MacBook Pro often. But don’t worry, there’s an easy way to remove them without damaging the screen.
These steps above will help you clean fingerprints from your MacBook Pro’s screen.
Cleaning A Nano-texture Glass Screen
Apple does has some screens that feature a nano-texture glass. This type of glass is designed to reduce glare and reflections. Here’s how you can clean it:
1. Turn off your MacBook Pro and unplug it from any power source.
2. Then use a lightly dampened microfiber cloth to clean the entire screen. If you need to, you can use a Apple Polishing Cloth.
3. For hard-to-remove smudges or fingerprints, use a lightly dampened microfiber cloth with 70-percent isopropyl alcohol.
4. Once you’re finished, use a dry microfiber cloth to remove any leftover moisture.
5. Now you can plug your MacBook Pro back in and turn it on.
Tips For Cleaning Your Macbook Pro
Here are a few general tips to keep in mind when cleaning your MacBook Pro:
1. Avoid using any harsh cleaners, such as window cleaner or glass cleaner. These can damage the screen.
2. Be careful not to get any moisture inside the computer, near any ports or connectors.
3. Do not use paper towels, napkins, or anything else that could scratch the screen.
4. Make sure to unplug any external devices, such as a wire mouse/keyboard, an external monitor, an external hard drive or USB devices, before cleaning the screen.
2. If you spill something on your MacBook, unplug it immediately or turn it off (if it’s turned on,) and flip it upside down to prevent the liquid from damaging the internals.
3. For scratches on a Macbook screen, you can read our guide on how to remove scratches from a screen.
1. How often should I clean my MacBook screen?
You should clean your MacBook screen as needed, but typically at least once a month. If you notice that the display is becoming difficult to see or if there is any accumulation of dust or dirt on the screen, then it’s time for a cleaning.
For me, I always clean my MacBook screen when I start to see any smudges or fingerprints on the display. I just love a clean and clear screen when I’m working – it makes it so much easier to see what’s going on!
2. What should I avoid when cleaning my MacBook screen?
You should avoid using any harsh chemicals or abrasive materials when cleaning your MacBook screen. This includes things like window cleaner, paper towels, and even some types of cloths.
3. Should I use a screen protector?
It’s up to you whether or not you want to use a screen protector on your MacBook. Some people like the extra layer of protection that it provides, while others find it to be unnecessary.
If you do decide to use a screen protector, make sure that it’s made specifically for MacBooks. Be careful when applying the protector, as it’s easy to get air bubbles trapped underneath.
For over 5 years, I have been using a screen protector on my MacBook and I love it. It has prevented my screen from getting scratched or damaged, and it has also made me feel more comfortable about cleaning the screen.
4. Keyboard cover or no keyboard cover?
Again, this is a personal preference. I know some people who would never use a keyboard cover because they feel it gets in the way of typing. Others (like myself) love keyboard covers because they protect the keys from dirt and debris.
Make sure that it is the right size for your MacBook and that it does not impede your typing ability. There are a lot of great options out there, so take your time in choosing one.
A keyboard cover helped me twice from spilling coffee on my keyboard – so I’m a big fan!
I am also a blogger and writer who loves writing about technology, gadgets, and more.
I don’t have a problem when typing with a keyboard cover on. In my opinion, it actually makes me feel safe from spills or any other things.