Discord is a free voice and text chat app that offers real-time communication between people. The platform is available on PC, iOS, and Android devices. Discord provides many features for its users such as in-line animated GIFs and video playback without leaving the app. It also has push notifications to alert you of messages from other members of your server or group chat while you are offline.
These notifications can be turned off if they become bothersome or inconvenient. You will need to sign up with an email address before using the service but there is no limit on how many people can join your server! All this combined makes it a great way to connect with friends as well as strangers who share similar interests!
What is Discord?
The Discord app was released to the public in 2015 by a San Francisco-based firm. Originally, the app was developed to create a comfortable place for gamers to connect with each other. But then, it expanded to become one of the most popular groups chatting apps all over the world.
The app is well known as a free video, text, and voice chat app suitable for all people over 13 years old. Through Discord, it is now easier for you to keep in contact with your friends, family, or communities anytime anywhere.
Even though it does not cost any fee to use, it offers you a premium subscription called Discord Nitro for more outstanding features. To be more specific, it will be $9.99 for a monthly plan and $99.99 for an annual plan.
Features of Discord
Discord has received big love from users from all over the world due to the wide range of impressive specifications it provides. Here’s the detail:
- Compatible with several devices: Discord app is now usable on both iPhone, Android devices as well as PC and Mac. So you do not have to worry about whether your own device supports the chatting app.
- Free to control: For Discord, it is possible for you to have private chatting groups or open communities based on your own choices. You will have full control over all of your conversations on the platform.
- Integrated with different functions: With Discord, you can make voice calls, text messages, share videos, music, internet links, etc. So there is no limit for you to communicate with others about various topics in several ways.
- A huge number of servers: Each community is known as a server. Discord has a wide variety of servers and each of them will be dedicated to a specific topic. You can talk about your favorite games, projects, family trips, schoolwork, or maybe your health problems via many channels available.
- Only support communication but not other functions: When you use the Discord app, there is no news feed, no infinite scrolling, or any other things which determine what you would see. It offers you absolutely nothing but a place for conversations.
How to use Discord on your devices?
As mentioned above, you can download the Discord app from Windows, macOS, Android or iOS free of charge. Then, take the following steps:
- Step 1: Sign in to your Discord account
- Step 2: Select the green-colored plus on the screen to create a new server
- Step 3: Once having a server, you can choose the green color below “voice channels” or “text channels” for more channels.
- Step 4: Under your server’s name, you can make any settings from the drop-down menu.
For video chat
- Step 1: In your server, choose the voice channel you would like to join
- Step 2: Click the Video option to share your video with the channel. If you want to adjust the input device, you should move to the User Settings.
For screen share during a voice call
- Step 1: Take part in a voice channel
- Step 2: Select the Share Screen button within the voice status panel
- Step 3: Choose the window or app you would like to share
- Step 4: Click the Go Live tab on your window to begin streaming.
For voice chat
The only thing you need to do is to join the voice channel you are interested in. Then, you are ready to talk with your friends or any larger communities. For voice settings, you can click on the User Settings to make any adjustments.
Is Discord safe for all children?
You should pay much more attention to your kids’ behavior on this platform. It is only safe for your children to participate in private conversations with reliable members or accept requests from their friends only. Under proper supervision, Discord can become a great tool for them to make connections with their friends and family.
What happens if you delete your Discord account?
It is impossible for you to re-activate your Discord account after you delete it. Once being deleted, this will be unrecoverable. Additionally, all of your messages will be removed in this case. So you can choose to disable your account instead if you are still confused about your decision.
Which actions will be prohibited on Discord?
Any action which leads to violence or other threats is considered to be unacceptable on the platforms. For example, any discrimination of race, gender, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, or disabilities. If your account is reported for any mentioned reason, Discord will delete your account from the platform forever.
Does Discord save all of your chat histories?
In case your Discord account is still in use, it is possible for you to come back to your conversation with friends at any time. The app will help you to store your chat history for later use. So you do not worry about losing your information when getting out of the channels.
Discord is a great app that can be used to voice, text, or video chat with those having the same interest as you for free. It will give you the best service through several features. You can have a conversation with anyone all over the world about any favorite topic via one or more channels. Besides, it is simple for you to set up and make use of the app as well.