Are you in the market for a new laptop? If so, you may be wondering if it’s worth investing in a model that is specifically designed for video editing. After all, many laptops nowadays are marketed as “multimedia” or “gaming” machines, which seems to suggest that they could also handle basic video editing tasks.
The truth is, though, that not all laptops are created equal when it comes to video editing. This is because the process of editing video requires a lot more power and processing than most other types of tasks that you might use a laptop for.
So, if you’re serious about getting into video editing, or if you need to do some professional-level editing for work or school, then you’re going to want to make sure that you get a laptop that is up to the task.
In this article, we’ll take a look at some of the best laptops for video editing that are currently on the market. We’ll also provide a few tips on what to look for when shopping for a video editing laptop, so that you can make sure that you get the best machine for your needs.
Apple MacBook Air Laptop with M2 chip
Apple has just announced the newest version of the MacBook Air and it is a powerhouse. Weighing in at just 2.7 pounds, this laptop is perfect for video editing, allowing you to work on projects with ease. With 8-core CPU, up to 10-core GPU and 24GB of unified memory, the MacBook Air M2 is powerful enough to handle even the most complex projects.
The 13.6-inch Liquid Retina display is perfect for viewing your footage and the FaceTime HD camera makes it easy to stay in touch with clients and collaborators. The three-mic array and four-speaker sound system ensures that your audio will be clear and crisp. And with a MagSafe charging port, two Thunderbolt ports and a headphone jack, this laptop has everything you need to stay connected and productive. With up to 18 hours of battery life, this laptop is perfect for on-the-go video editors.
Apple MacBook Air M2: Specifications
- Processor: M2
- Memory: 16GB or more
- Storage: 256GB, 512GB or more
- Display: 13.6-inch Liquid Retina display with True Tone
- Camera: FaceTime HD camera
- Battery life: Up to 18 hours
Dell XPS 7590 Laptop 15.6″ 4K UHD Display
The Dell XPS 7590 is one of the best laptops for video editing, thanks to its impressive specs and features. It has a 15.6-inch 4K UHD OLED display with 100% DCI-P3 400-Nits color gamut, which is perfect for video editing. The GeForce GTX 1650 4GB GDDR5 graphics card gives you the power you need to edit videos smoothly and efficiently. The laptop is also powered by a 9th Generation Intel Core i7-9750H processor, making it fast and responsive.
Plus, with 32GB of high-bandwidth RAM, you won’t have to worry about lag or slow performance. And for storage, the Dell XPS 7590 has a 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 Solid State Drive, so you can store all your videos and files in one place. The laptop also includes a backlit keyboard, an integrated 720P HD webcam, and Thunderbolt 3 support. Windows 10 Home 64-bit is the pre-installed operating system. Overall, the Dell XPS 7590 is a great choice for video editors who need a powerful and feature-rich laptop.
Dell XPS 7590 Laptop: Specifications
- Processor: 9th Generation Intel Core i7-9750H
- Display: 15.6-inch 4K UHD OLED display
- Graphics card: GeForce GTX 1650 4GB GDDR5
- RAM: 32GB high-bandwidth RAM
- Storage: 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 Solid State Drive
- Operating system: Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Acer Predator Helios 300
The Acer Predator Helios 300 is a high-end gaming laptop that comes with some amazing features. Some of these features include the Intel Core i7-11800H processor, the NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 graphics card, and 16GB of DDR4 RAM. The laptop also has a 15.6″ Full HD IPS display, a 512GB PCIe SSD, and Killer DoubleShot Pro with Ethernet and Wi-Fi 6.
The Acer Predator Helios 300 also comes with Alexa Show Mode, which allows you to talk to Alexa from across the room. The laptop has a variety of ports for all of your accessories, including USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-C, HDMI 2.1, Mini DisplayPort 1.4, and more. The Acer Predator Helios 300 also has a one-year international warranty.
The Acer Predator Helios 300 also has a long battery life of up to six hours. This means that you can game or work on your projects for hours without having to worry about running out of battery. The Acer Predator Helios 300 is a great choice for gamers and creative professionals who need a high-performance laptop that can handle all of their needs.
Acer Predator Helios 300: Specifications
- Processor: Intel Core i7-11800H
- Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060
- RAM: 16GB DDR4
- Display: 15.6″ Full HD IPS
- Storage: 512GB PCIe SSD
- Operating system: Windows 11 Home
ASUS ROG Strix G15 (2021) Gaming Laptop
The Asus ROG Strix G15 is one of the best laptops for video editing that you’ll find on the market. It’s a powerful machine that is designed for gaming, but it also has the power and features that you need for video editing. This laptop comes with an NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 4GB GDDR6 graphics card, which will allow you to edit videos with ease. It also has an AMD Ryzen 7 4800H processor, which will allow you to edit videos quickly and efficiently.
Furthermore, the 144Hz 15.6-inch Full HD 1920×1080 IPS-Type Display will allow you to see your videos in clear detail. Finally, the 8GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM and the 512GB PCIe SSD will ensure that your laptop can handle all of your video editing needs. The ASUS ROG Strix G15 is available for purchase at a price of less than 1000 USD. If you are looking for a powerful and efficient video editing machine, the ASUS ROG Strix G15 is the perfect choice.
ASUS ROG Strix G15: Specifications
- Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 4800H
- Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 4GB GDDR6
- Memory: 8GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM
- Storage: 512GB PCIe SSD
- Display: 144Hz 15.6” Full HD 1920×1080 IPS-Type Display
Microsoft Surface Book 3
Microsoft Surface Book 3 15-inch is the latest laptop from Microsoft which comes with a lot of new features. The 10th Gen Intel Core processor makes the Surface Book 3 15-inch 30% faster than the Surface Book 2 15”. The NVIDIA GTX GeForce GPU gives it the power to run graphic-intensive programs smoothly. The long battery life (up to 17.5 hours) means you can work or play for hours without having to worry about recharging.
The Surface Book 3 15-inch is a versatile laptop that can be used as a traditional laptop, a tablet, or a portable studio. The built-in kickstand and detachable display make it easy to use in any setting. The USB-A, USB-C, and full-size SD card slot allow you to connect to a variety of devices and peripherals. If you are looking for a powerful and versatile laptop, the Surface Book 3 15-inch is a great option. It has the latest features and technology, and it is available with a free upgrade to Windows 11.
Microsoft Surface Book 3: Specifications
- Processor: 10th Gen Intel Core i7-1065G7
- Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti
- Memory: 16GB RAM
- Storage: 512GB PCIe NVMe SSD
- Display: 15.6″ PixelSense Display
- Ports: 2 x USB-A, 1 x USB-C, 1 x full-size SD card slot
- Battery life: Up to 17.5 hours
ASUS ProArt StudioBook 16 Laptop
The ASUS ProArt StudioBook 16 Laptop has a 16-inch (2560×1500) 16:10 120Hz display that is perfect for video editing. The display is 100% Adobe RGB and has a brightness of 500 nits. The AMD R7 5800H processor provides speeds up to 3.2 GHz, with 16M Cache and up to 4.4GHz of power. The NVIDIA Geforce RTX 3060 with 6GB GDDR6 VRAM is perfect for rendering and graphics-intensive tasks. The 1TB PCIe NVMe RAID0 SSD and 32GB DDR4 Memory provide plenty of storage and speed for your video editing needs.
This laptop is perfect for those who want the best of the best when it comes to video editing. The large screen and high resolution will allow you to see your work in great detail, while the powerful processor ensures that even the most demanding tasks can be completed quickly and smoothly. The ample storage space means that you’ll never have to worry about running out of room for your files, and the high-quality graphics card ensures that your videos will look stunning. If you’re looking for a top-of-the-line laptop for video editing, the ASUS ProArt StudioBook 16 is a great option.
ASUS ProArt StudioBook 16: Specifications
- Processor: AMD R7 5800H Processor (2.3 GHz)
- Memory: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz SDRAM
- Storage: 1TB PCIe NVMe SSD
- Graphics: NVIDIA Geforce RTX 3060 with 6GB GDDR6 VRAM
- Display: 16” (2560s1500) 16:10 120Hz display
Razer Blade Pro 17 Gaming Laptop
Are you looking for the best laptop for video editing? If so, the Razer Blade Pro 17 might be the perfect choice for you. This gaming laptop comes with some impressive features that will make your video editing experience a breeze. Let’s take a closer look at what this laptop has to offer.
First of all, the Razer Blade Pro 17 comes with an NVIDIA GeForce RTX 30 Series graphic card. This means that you’ll be able to enjoy some stunning visuals while you’re editing your videos. Additionally, the Intel 11th Gen 8-Core CPU ensures that your laptop will be able to handle any video editing software you throw at it.
Another great feature of the Razer Blade Pro 17 is the fact that it comes with a vapor chamber cooling system. This ensures that your laptop will stay cool even during the most intense video editing sessions. The built-in WiFi-6 and UHS-III SD card slot make this laptop perfect for those who need to transfer large files.
The Razer Blade Pro 17 also comes with a beautiful display that is perfect for video editing. There are a variety of different display options, so you can choose the one that best suits your needs. The laptop’s standard display is a 360Hz FHD display, which is perfect for competitive gamers. However, if you need creative work, you can also choose between a 120Hz UHD or 165Hz QHD display.
All in all, the Razer Blade Pro 17 is a great choice for those who are looking for the best laptop for video editing. This laptop comes with some impressive features that will make your experience a breeze. Additionally, the different display options allow you to choose the one that best suits your needs.
Razer Blade Pro 17: Specifications
- Processor: Intel 11th Gen 8-Core
- Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 30 Series
- Display: 360Hz FHD, UHD, or QHD display options
- Storage: 1TB NVMe SSD
- Memory: 32GB DDR4 RAM
- Operating System: Windows 10 Home
ASUS ROG Zephyrus G14 14-inch
Are you looking for a powerful laptop that can handle all your video editing needs? If so, the ASUS ROG Zephyrus G14 may be just what you are looking for. This laptop comes with an AMD Ryzen 7 8-core processor and 8GB of RAM, making it more than capable of handling even the most strenuous tasks. The 512GB PCIe SSD also ensures that you have plenty of storage space for all your video files.
And if that wasn’t enough, the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 graphics card will ensure that your videos look stunning. The 14-inch 120Hz full HD display is also perfect for viewing your videos in all their glory. Plus, with a 10-hour battery life, you can edit videos all day without having to worry about recharging. And when you’re done editing, the backlit keyboard makes it easy to type up your final product.
As for ports and slots, there are HDMI, USB Type-C, USB Type-A, and USB Type-C 3.2 with Power Delivery ports, as well as a DisplayPort and G-Sync. Last but not least, it has an audio jack. So if you’re looking for a powerful and versatile laptop for video editing, the ASUS ROG Zephyrus G14 should definitely be at the top of your list.
ASUS ROG Zephyrus G14: Specifications
- Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 8-core processor (up to 4.2GHz)
- Memory: 8GB RAM
- Storage: 512GB PCIe SSD
- Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 (4GB GDDR6)
- Display: 14-inch 120Hz full HD display (1920 x 1080)
- Battery life: 10 hours
Apple MacBook Pro 16 Inch
The MacBook Pro is the absolute top of the line device for editing video on a laptop. There is a reason why so many in the media and digital nomad communities work with the MacBook. The 1 TB hard drive is perfect for heavy working programs like Final Cut Pro. The 1 TB flash storage on this device is top of the line, and using Apple’s iOS interface is the easiest way to work once it’s learned.
For those switching from a PC, it can take a couple weeks of fooling around with the MacBook to feel comfortable. But once you make the switch, you likely will never go back. This machine is efficient, very fast in apps and on the web, and is not susceptible to the viruses that plague PC users. As with all Apple computers, the RAM is soldered so it cannot be altered or upgraded.
If you are willing to make the investment, this computer will last for many years and if you work with other video editors and people who spend time on Macs, the odds are that someone will know how to fix any small problems that arise.
Apple Macbook Pro 16: Specifications
- Processor: M1
- Memory: 16GB
- Storage: 512GB
- Display: 16.2 inches
- Camera: FaceTime HD camera
- Graphics Coprocessor: M1 Pro
Microsoft Surface Pro 8
Microsoft’s entry into the list of best laptops for video editing is unique in that it has a support stand behind the screen that can be adjusted to exact specifications. This is great for low light situations but is often not necessary. The screen detaches from the keyboard and doubles as a tablet, making this easily the most versatile laptop on the list. The SSD 128GB, 256GB, 512GB, or 1TB are in line with top notch editing laptops.
My favorite thing about this computer is the screen because it is the easiest on the eyes that I have found anywhere. The low glare and hi-def image quality don’t require a ton of focus. There are several different options to choose from depending on your level of work – from 8GB, 16GB or 32 GB RAM.
The Surface Pro 8 has been through many upgrades due to problems with bugs and glitches, but this most current version is nearly flawless. I’m not a huge fan of the pen that it comes with as it tends to stop working after several months, but it isn’t necessary to use it for video editing.
The display size is only 13 inches, but the resolution of the screen is so strong that you can work as efficiently on your projects as you can with a larger device. The lightness of this product is also great because traveling with it or bringing it around with you frequently is not a problem.
Microsoft Surface Pro 8: Specifications
- Processor: 4.8 GHz core_i7
- Memory: 16 GB LPDDR4
- Storage: 256 GB
- Display: 13 inches
- Graphics Coprocessor: Intel Iris Xe Graphics
What To Look For In The Best Laptops For Video Editing
There are a few things to look for when purchasing a laptop for video editing. The best laptops for video editing will have a powerful processor, a large amount of RAM, and a high-resolution display.
- The processor is important because it determines the speed at which the laptop can edit videos. Look for a laptop with a quad-core processor or better. The more cores the processor has, the faster the laptop will be able to edit videos.
- The amount of RAM is also important because it determines how much memory the laptop can use while editing videos. Look for a laptop with at least 8GB of RAM. This will ensure that the laptop can handle large video files without any lag.
- The display is important because it determines how clear the video will look when it is edited. Look for a laptop with a resolution of at least 1920×1080. This will ensure that the videos look great when they are edited on the laptop.
- Another thing you’ll want to consider is the type of graphics card the laptop has. Video editing requires a lot of graphics processing, so you’ll want a laptop with a powerful graphics card. This will ensure that your video edits look smooth and professional.
- The last consideration is the storage space. Video files can take up a lot of space, so it is important to choose a laptop with plenty of storage space. Otherwise, you will quickly run out of room on your hard drive and will have to delete some of your videos in order to make room for new ones.
2. Often, storing hundreds of video clips on your computer’s hard drive can bog it down. A good idea to prevent this is to keep your clips on an external drive that is only plugged in while you are editing video.
3. ALWAYS back everything up. As frustrating as it can be, video editing programs are known to crash mid-session if a hard drive is overworked or something else goes wrong. Prevent the tragedy of having to start over by keeping a backup file.
Right off the bat, there are three laptops here that stand out from the rest. The Microsoft Surface Pro, the Dell XPS, and the Apple MacBook. These three are the top tier best laptops for video editing because their platform is specifically designed for high-performance programs, apps, and those who use their laptop for full-time work.
- For those who travel frequently, the MacBook Air M2 is the best option because of its durability.
- For the full-time video worker, the MacBook 16 is the best option because of how easy the operating system is once you learn how to use it.
- For the beginning video editor, the best option is the Microsoft Surface Pro 8. This computer is the easiest to feel comfortable with and the most simple as far as the operating system and user interface.
- For long videos like movies or short films, the Dell XPS 7590 or Macbook Pro 16 inches is the best option because of its high memory. Computers with lower amounts of hard drive memory and RAM can become bogged down while loading and processing. This will not be an issue with the Dell XPS/Macbook, especially if you are storing your video files on an external drive.
Overall, the best option for versatility and overall video editing is the Apple MacBook. With this option, you will become a master of their iOS operating system and figure out the tricks and hacks to make it work better for you.
Apple is very consistent with their products, so you can rest assured that once you learn the first MacBook you buy, you will be able to operate any updates, upgrades, or future purchases sufficiently.
Apple has specifically designed their software to work well with media workers. They anticipate and are ready for people like video editors to regularly use the MacBook for their work. Their customer service is amazing, and if you do run into any problems they will be quick to fix it or replace your device.
I have the Dell 15.6inch and Yes YEs Yes it is extremely powerful for that amount. It’s abit expensive too. Any ideas for Videographers on a budget? We have interns coming in next year 2022 and I would be nice to find an affordable laptops. Laptops just because of the pandemic.
Thanks a lot for sharing this unique blog with us.